Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

​What We Do

Alcoholic Beverage Control

Together, the County Alcoholic Beverage Control Administrator and Enforcement Officer administer and enforce all local ordinances that deal with the regulation of alcohol sales at businesses in Shelby County. These ordinances include but may not be limited to the issuance of local licenses required for alcohol sales, the hours and days alcohol sales are permitted, as well as the Responsible Beverage Server Training which requires licensed businesses selling or serving alcohol to document their employees training in a responsible beverage server training course.​

Please submit applications for Special Temporary Licenses to the County a minimum of ten (10) days prior to the event so we may ensure that we can review your application and give you time to complete your state and local approvals prior to your event.

COVID-19 Anncouncements

  • Effective Tuesday, November 16, 2020, the ABC office will be closed to in-person services as a precautionary measure against COVID-19.  Please call (502) 633-7685 during the business hours of 8:30am - 4:00pm for assistance.

ABC Law Compliance Guidelines

  • Do not traffic in alcoholic beverages unless you hold a license.
  • Post your alcohol license(s) in a conspicuous place at your business.
  • Do not permit anyone to operate your business using your license
  • Keep your alcohol-related business records on site.
  • Do not allow the licensed premises to become disorderly.
  • Do not sell alcoholic beverages to persons under 21 years of age.
  • Do not sell or give alcoholic beverages to anyone who is intoxicated or permit anyone to become intoxicated.
  • Do not deliver alcoholic beverages if you are a retail licensee.
  • If beer is sold for consumption off of the licensed premises, an 18 or 19 year old may be employed as long as the employee is under direct supervision of someone at least 20 years and one day of age.
  • If alcoholic beverages are sold in a liquor package store or by the drink, employees must be at least 20 years and one day of age.
  • If an establishment holds a retail liquor license, one must obtain a supplemental liquor license for each additional public bar in operation.
  • Retailers must purchase all alcoholic beverages from a wholesaler or distributer licensed to sell in Kentucky.
Requirements for Obtaining an ABC License in Shelby County

Note for New Businesses:  A Shelby County business license is also required prior to receiving your ABC license.

Follow these 5 steps to obtain an ABC License:

  • Contact the Shelby Co ABC Office to schedule an appointment with the ABC Officer.
  • Download and complete the Kentucky ABC licensing application.
  • Submit your completed application to the Shelby County ABC Administrator for approval and signature.
  • Submit the ABC application signed by the Shelby County ABC Administrator to the KY ABC Office.
  • After receiving approval from the Kentucky ABC, please visit the Shelby County ABC Administrator’s office at 419 Washington St Shelbyville, KY to purchase your Shelby County ABC license.
    • Once payment is received, the Shelby County ABC Enforcement Officer will deliver the local license to the premise.
  • Schedule and complete your Responsible Beverage Server Training for all employees and management staff that will be serving alcoholic beverages.
    • Owner/Manager of the licensed business is responsible for compliance with state training and register system (S.T.A.R.).

Note: A Shelby County business license is also required prior to receiving your ABC license.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I purchase an existing business with an active license can I use the existing license or do I have to obtain my own?
A: You will need to obtain your own license; licenses cannot be transferred from one owner to the other.  It may be possible to get a “transitional license” from KY ABC until you get fully licensed.  Contact KY ABC for details.

Q: Do I need a license for a special civic event that has alcohol sales?
A: Yes.  The County and the State may issue a Special Temporary License for your event.

Q: When does my Shelby County ABC License expire/need to be renewed?
A: The fiscal year for ABC licenses run July 1-June 30.  Shelby County ABC licenses must be renewed by the end of June every year or the license will expire.

Q: Are alcohol sales allowed on Election Day in Shelby County?
A: Yes, the hours of the sale of alcohol are the same as any other week day.

Q: Is it legal to sell alcohol on Sunday in Shelby County?
A: Yes, the hours of sales on Sunday are 1PM-9PM, however you must hold all required ABC licenses for Sunday Sales.

Q: Where can I find the Responsible Beverage Server Training courses (S.T.A.R.)?
A: Visit the Kentucky Alcoholic Beverage Control website to setup a class either in person or online at

For questions or more complete information please contact:

Marvin H. Goetz, Jr​., Alcoholic Beverage Control Enforcement Officer
Phone: (502) 655-0683

Forms and Links

Alcoholic Beverage Control

Rusty NewtonRusty Newton, Administrator

419 Washington Street
Shelbyville, Kentucky 40065
Phone:(502) 633-7685​

Marvin H. Goetz, Jr., Enforcement Officer

​Phone: (502) 655-0683

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm

Closed all major holidays.